Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Tradition

I'm so mad right now! The surprising thing is that I'm not even mad at C, even though our Thanksgiving plans have not been settled yet. Nope, I'm mad at my book. I'm reading the third "Game of Thrones" book. I'm a little over halfway through it, which I've been informed is about where the TV show is. This part has already happened in the show but beware the spoiler anyway.

***Spoiler Alert***

I just read about the Red Wedding. That's the celebration where Catelyn and Robb Stark are killed. What. The. Heck!!! They were my favorite characters! They can't be dead! It must be a trick like Brandon and Rickon. Or maybe they'll rise again? Please don't let them be dead. If the author keeps killing off characters there'll be no one left!

The book is so intriguing. The plot is going in so many ways at once. Every time I have a prediction about what's going to happen, a new twist happens and I'm completely wrong. I'll admit, I keep hoping the show gets "nicer." I want a happy ending for the characters but everything keeps getting worse and worse. Maybe I'm more like Sansa than I think. I want everything to happen like one of her songs. I want the knights to be good and the maidens happily married. I want the just to rise and the evil to be punished. That doesn't seem to be happening so far. The honorable are being killed and the conniving are prospering. It's so frustrating!

I guess I have a strong sense of tradition. This is the way things are supposed to be. I get very upset when something happens that does not fit that picture. I hate that the main characters Ned Stark and King Robert die right away in the book. I hate how C does not want to celebrate Thanksgiving as a family. I see these as an offense to my moral code.

I once read a book called "The Fairy Godmother" by Mercedes Lackey. (I may have even read it twice.) The book talks of a magic called the Tradition, which tries to force people's lives into classic fairy fairy tales if the individual shows signs of a certain story. For instance, if a girl grows up forced to do excessive amounts of cleaning, the Tradition will try to force her life into Cinderella. She'll meet a prince, fall in love, and live happily ever after. It's a great book but I won't get into the details more than I already did.

My point is that I'm like the Tradition when I read a story. I want the characters to match familiar stories so they could all live happily ever after. It is really making me mad that the author doesn't seem to want to follow the tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment