Thursday, September 26, 2013

Little Green Monster

Yesterday, all the women in my office went out to lunch to celebrate my coworker's pregnancy. This is her last week as Saturday she's flying to Korea to have the baby over there with her family. It was nice having lunch with everyone. We were able to talk about "girl things" like cooking and pregnancy foods to avoid. I rarely go out with friends (and even then, only once in a blue moon do I get to go out without kids.) It was nice. One of the partners of my firm even picked up the tab so I had one less thing to feel guilty about at the end of the day.

My only problem is that I did not get invited out to eat with everyone when I was pregnant. Do the people here not like me? Were they ashamed of my (at the time) single mother status? Am I an embarrassment to the company?

The situations are different. She is planning on taking time off before she goes into labor; I expected to go to work on April 25 right up to the moment my water broke.We have very little work right now; I was due right after tax season. She's planning to take three months off; I expected to take only three weeks off. (That's  a story for another time.) Her husband is well off (or so I've heard); I was unmarried at the time. I clearly needed to come back; she has the option of being a stay-at-home.

Are those reason's enough? Am I being insecure or was I slighted?

No comments:

Post a Comment