Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Reading Musings

I'm currently reading that book "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. If anyone is reading my other blog, yes this will be the next entry. I must say I'm extremely creeped out by how I identify with one of the characters. The character I'm most like is Amy. I'm only halfway through the book but forgive the spoiler alert.

***Spoiler Alert***

Amy is the wife that goes missing. Her husband, Nick, is the one being blamed. By the time I finished reading part one, I was sure Nick killed her even though I vehemently hoped he didn't. The evidence was quite persuasive. Then I got to part two and BAM! I feel like the author smacked me over the head! Amy is psycho! She faked her own disappearance as punishment for Nick! (For what it's worth, I thought the twist was going to be that Nick's father killed her but Nick cleaned up the situation as a final act of kindness to his dad. That would explain Nick's odd behavior and Nick's dad's frequent escapes...)

Anyway, like I said, I understand her. If I didn't have kids, a job, money, or any friends like Amy didn't and the only reason I gave it all up was for my husband, I'd be mad enough to do this if my husband cheated on me. She gave up everything! He cheated with someone half her age almost! I'd be mad too. Now I don't have the patience to plan to frame anyone for murder years in advance but I understand. I'm amazed at her attention to detail too. From where I'm at in the book, it really does seem like the perfect crime. Flynn is an outstanding author for making me feel such empathy for such an evil character! This is the type of book I'll probably sacrifice my precious sleep for. And I know it'll be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment