Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Young Marriage

Like anyone else who made a major, yet controversial life choice, I'm ready to defend my choice to the death, even against mean coworkers. Two of my coworkers were having a conversation about six feet away from where I was working at my desk. One of them was telling the other that she was taking some time off to go to her cousin's wedding. She mentioned that the cousin was in her twenties. My other coworker responded by saying that he thinks getting married in your twenties is a stupid idea. She agreed. They said marriages of twenty-somethings never last. They both know I got married. I'm 23 and C is 25.

How tactless can they be! I was ready to cry. I'm glad I married C. It was the right decision for us. We've wanted it for years. The first time we got engaged was in 2011. Sorry we can't be like my other coworker who has been with his girlfriend for six years and has no plans on proposing anytime soon even though she is dropping hints. Just because they aren't ready for marriage doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

It wasn't only me they were slighting. Three former coworkers that were close with the two that said this got married in their twenties. One current coworker is engaged at 25. A lot of people get married in their twenties. Who are these two to say that my decision was stupid? I'm proud I got married. I love C in a way that I've never loved anyone else. I always knew C was going to be important to me. When we started dating, I told my friends that I want him to be in my life forever. It has taken 6 years since that thought but I finally got him for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment